Thursday, October 10, 2013

September Issue: NYFW Pt. 2

While attending NYFW my schedule was really tight, so I had to be sure to keep up with the New York pace of things. I attended three designers' shows for Summer/Spring 2014, Jenny Parham, Alhassan Toure, and Shateria Moragne-el.

My favorite show would definitely have to be the Toure "Coming to America" show. His idea of fusing modern American style with bold African prints/structure was absolutely genius. To start off, two men rocked on the runway playing drums, paying hommage to the designers' African roots. The inclusion of leather, spikes, and bright colors throughout the line, gave it a fresh look. To top it off, the models' hair styles were funky and eccentric, adding an urban twist to the collection. I commend Mr. Toure for such a genius collection in which anyone could make their own.
One show I was bummed at myself for missing was Rachel Zoe. My cab driver tried his best to get me to Lincoln Center on time, and after being spared from the roller coaster ride of getting there (Thank God!) I missed check-in by a less than a minute! So after I called my girlfriend Damali for moral support, and got through having a fit in a corner by myself (meanwhile keeping my cool on the outside), I shook it off and got to mingling. And as fate would have it, I met some phenomenal people whom I would not have met had it been otherwise. Amongst those I met was Robert Verdi, who actually stopped me to take a pic of my ears. I also met renowned bloggers Joy Adaeze from Joylovesfashion and Necole from Necole Bitchie, both of whom were sweet and kind enough to give me sound advice as an up and coming blogger. Ms. Jay of course, needs no introduction, he or should I say she(?) did not waste a minute to pose for this pic. True fashionsta indeed!
Finding time to eat a hearty meal was vital during NYFW. Running from one event to the next could run you of all your energy. I fell in love with a restaurant right across from Lincoln Center called "The Smith". A host from one of the company's sponsoring fashion week was gracious enough to recommend it to me. Needless to say, I fell in love with the food, so much so that I went two days in a row. The photo on the left is of the insanely delicious mac n cheese and deviled eggs. Clearly I was unaware of the large portions served and only ate a third of my meal (the leftovers were righteous though). On the second day, which was my birthday, I dined with a friend named Cue from Chi-town. This time I had chicken and honey glazed potato waffles, which were a pure delight! I love to eat so this was heaven for me! To top it off I indulged myself in one of their desserts called the "S'more in a jar". My only justification for pushing the limit was that I was the birthday girl.

An exciting moment during my experience at NYFW was getting interviewed by different journalists from major publications, including Vogue (OMG!!). Although it was flattering, it was also a very humbling experience. Click here to watch an Interview that Cue and I did for the Pittsburg post on street style (watch the clip on 'tips for good streetstyle..').

I never thought I would say this, but when it was all said and done I was so ready to get back home to Boston! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every bit of my time during NYFW, but there truly is no place like home. 'Til next time beauties!!



FOLLOW US @Haitianistas on Instagram
also on FACEBOOK


XOXO,
Your Haitianstas

3 comments: